The Evidence Blog

Comments and observations, puzzles and conundrums, about the process of writing a novel and creating an animated movie: contrasting an ancient, analog procedure (writing with a pen in a paper notebook) with a modern digital process (creating animated and live images on a computer notebook)...both done at the same time, the same story, same creatures, same author--but with differences that confront and confuse, growl and grimace, enlighten and obfuscate....

EVIDENCE HOME | SCENES | PHOTOS | CHARACTERS | THE LOST CITY | AUTHOR | LINKS

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

OLD STEAM ENGINES, CHUGGING ALONG: A Progress Report


There's been a bit of a delay to this work of mine, a result of my laptop computer dying on me. I had to re-configure and re-load my old Pentium 4 desktop. I used the down time to focus again on the written version of Evidence, and finished the second chapter. The book will be composed of five long chapters, so there are only three more to go: they are like three fields, already plowed and planted, waiting for fertilizer and water and sunlight. I'll get to them soon.

The computer breakdown happened during work on the movie's second section--let's call it, like the novel, the second chapter. With my programs installed, I've finally resumed working on it: the old computer is rendering a ten-second sequence now, as I write these words. Since it is a complex scene, with many figures, it will take the desktop about two and a half days to render it, chugging away like an old steam engine. The scene consists of a near-nude woman (Syrah Black, one of the wraiths) strutting across a rather industrial room, past other wraiths, to a door which slides open. Behind this door is Enoja, the first guide, dancing in a tight red evening gown. There will be several sequences mixed together: Syrah walking, the dolly camera following her; another camera swooping by overhead; a wide-angle shot of Punk, quite naked, leaning back against a pillar; Menthe, in a transparent dress, crawling along the floor: a montage of images, all leading to the opening door where Enoja greets us.

And this is just a small part of the movie's second chapter. There's the Interview, five or six encounters with Young John, and--since Enoja is a dancer--a couple of dance sequences, just for the hell of it. This is all very time-consuming work: remember, I am a single man doing all this myself: there is no army of animators, no "rendering farm" of computers like the studios have. My desktop chugs away, I chug away, old steam engines, both of us....

Oh, and if anyone has a fast computer they want to sell--or donate!--a duel core, say (which my laptop was, a snappy critter till it died on me), or a quad, let me know....

No comments:

Post a Comment